Thursday, March 24, 2011

I had a farm in Africa… well, sort of.


I grew up in a typical mid-eighteenth century Transvaal farmhouse (horizontal, sprawling, with a corrugated tin roof and a wide veranda) on the outskirts of Pretoria in South Africa. From an early age, the house nourished my imagination as there were numerous secret places in which to hide and store my imaginary friends (only-child-syndrome)… the highlight being an unusual dark cellar under the floorboards. However, there was one major oversight in my mind… there was no STAIRCASE. Right then and there, I made a mental note to exclusively live in houses with staircases once I was grown-up (and funnily enough, I still get a thrill every time I climb one). So, I thought this week’s post should theme around the most beautiful staircases I could possibly find:




From top: Swedish Real Estate site Hemnet.se, blog Curious Expeditions,
Photo by Gareth Potter, blog This is Glamorous,
blog Trouvais.
Contributor: Philippa Berrington-Blew

No comments:

Post a Comment